POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Assumed Gamma : Re: Assumed Gamma Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Assumed Gamma
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 27 May 2000 11:16:17
Message: <392FE712.F9B5A13B@kivisalo.net>
The \"D\" wrote:
> Does the assumed_gamma global setting affect the gamma of the actual
> image file produced or only the image displayed on my monitor?

assumed_gamma and Display_Gamma in master povray.ini work together
to produce consistent results when the file is rendered in
different systems. It does not help correct color communication
in image files between systems.

The image data is gamma corrected by Display_Gamma/assumed_gamma.
If there is no assumed_gamma image data is not touched. In new
files assumed_gamma should always be 1.0 if it is used at all
because it's there to match old scene files with Display_Gamma.
You would set assumed_gamma the old display's gamma. This way
the "gamma correction" that was built in the old scene file
cancels out when POV applies the new correction.

Use http://www.povray.org/binaries/gamma.gif to find the correct
Display_Gamma.

Use http://hammer.prohosting.com/~kkivisal/adjust.gif to correctly
adjust monitor brightness and contrast.

There is a proposed standard for RGB images that is backwards compatible
,excellent for Internet and enables other people see your work of art
the way you intented.

sRGB: gamma 2.2, primaries HDTV, white point 6500K.
http://www.sRGB.com.

Kari Kivisalo                                          www.kivisalo.net